Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Captivating Color

Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing well, staying safe and healthy. We are good here. We are getting some much needed rain :)

Isn't it interesting how some colors just 'do it' for us? We see a color or two and just smile and think how lovely they are. For me, gray just does it for me, paired up with orange, magenta, blues or greens, just about any other color. I love using gray as a neutral, and often use it for my backgrounds in my quilts.....

Does anyone remember this book?

Because a Little Bug Went Ka-Choo

I loved this book when I was a kid and made sure it was part of our library when I was pregnant with our first born. All my kids can probably recite it without looking at the book... lol, along with a lot of other of the Cat in the Hat beginner reader books.

What does this have to do with captivating colors you ask? Well...  I started this Film at Five quilt last summer. (the link takes you to the blog that has the pattern)




By Oct I just had all of the 16 patch blocks made, then I set it aside until I could get some gray background fabric.

Fast forward till last week. I had bought the gray fabric a few months ago and finally decided to get the quilt top together.

And....

Because I made this quilt top, and because I used this beautiful gray fabric.

I decided I needed a  border  on my scrappy Irish stars quilt top.




And because I used this gray with this orange, and because I mitered the corners.


I had to play with the scraps from those borders, that already had a diagonal cut in them, which reminded me of another favorite block,

The Lonestar.



Isn't this lovely??! Or maybe you aren't too much of a gray person, thats ok, I love it enough for everyone :) 

I haven't decided quite what I am going to do with it, but if you come back in mid-late June, when I'm joining Carla from Creating in the sticks, in a blog hop, you'll find out.





Have a great day everyone!!


post signature

4 comments:

Scrapatches said...

What a lovely quilt show you have on your blog for us today, Dorian! I always lave that Film at Five pattern whenever I see a new version of it. I have had this on my list forever. Congrats on getting your top done. The borders on the scrappy stars look lovely. The gray in the lonestar really makes the blue and white and the pink pop. Looking forward to seeing where you go with this ... :) Pat

Barbara said...

Beautiful! I love looking at your work. Love the gray, too!!! Hugs.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I love that book too! You could write a quilty version. ;) Both Film and Five and Scrappy Irish Stars are beautiful! Surely you made a dent in your scrap pile! I like Deanna's quilt designs too...I've made an awful lot of her potholders.Your Lonestar IS lovely! That gray makes your colors just sparkle!

Mary Lou said...

I have a daughter who would like me to make the quilt you are doing with Carla from Creating in the sticks. She truly loves the greys etc. Do you have a pattern for it and is it for sale. Thank you

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...