Thursday, November 14, 2019

Stitch it and Gift it... my day!

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to my blog. First, a thank you to  Carla, for hosting another fun blog hop! I always enjoy these blog hops, looking at all the creativeness out there.

My long time readers know how much I love to give my stitching goodies. I am always making things for birthdays and Christmas. I have 4 kids, so have made many a quilt for them. Along with book bags and pencils pouches, purses and pillow cases. Making things is FUN! And giving them is even better! Extended family members and friends have all been recipients of my quilts and things.


My latest quilt is this one. As you can see, it isn't finished yet. But I promised you a full picture today, so here it is. I hope to finish it soon.




 This is my Cornerstones on Edge pattern. I took my original Cornerstones pattern, made the blocks 3" bigger and put them on point. I really love this design! A perfect one for boys (I have 3 boys, so am always trying to find good patterns for them). Of course, it's great for girls too ;)

Here's a closeup. I am doing 'organic' straight line quilting, simple and easy.




Carson is 15, he is already 5' 10". He outgrew his dinosaur quilt long ago and is really in need a of new quilt. He is my picky teenager, so I let him choose the colors for his quilt. I showed him a page full of these beautiful Shadow Play fabrics and told him to pick 3 or 4 colors.....The gray and black were a given. lol.  And he loves animals, so I threw those in for a bit of fun :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Christmas is right around the corner, so I've been busy making a few small gift items too. This little mat/wall hanging is simple and quick to put together, so I thought, as my gift to you, my readers and visitors, that I would give you the pattern so you can make a few too. It is a simple, quick design using mostly 2.5" squares and HTS's. You can use any size squares you want and make it any size. Or make a few and put them into a table runner, or make a lot and make it into a quilt. You can put hanging triangles in the back and make it a wall hanging. I think it would look lovely with a big candle in the center of it, used as a candle mat.




Here you go:

This project is 18.5" square. It's made up of 2.5" squares and some 2.5" HST's.

You will need: twenty-eight -  2.5" colored squares, any color you want.
                         four - 2.5" background squares
                         eight - 3" colored squares
                         four - 3" background squares
                         one 6.5" background square
                         two - 2.5" x 14.5" background strips
                         two - 2.5" x 18.5" background strips

 
I forgot to put the 6.5" square and four of the 3.5" squares in the picture

                                                                           
Make eight HST's from four of the  3" colored squares and the 3" background squares.  Using whichever method you like. Trim to 2.5".  Press seam towards background square.




Lay out 4 sets of 6 colored squares...the sets can all be the same or you can mix them up. Sew together. I sew a top square to a bottom, press the seam up. Next row, press down, third row press up. That way the seams next nicely together.



Sew together one 2.5" background square, one 2.5" colored square and two HST's. Watch how you turn these HST's, you want the background side facing the background square. 



Make the snowball block: Place one 3" square in each corner of the 6.5" square, rights sides together. Sew a diagonal line and cut 1/4" from that line. (Like my good friend Pat, I don't like having to draw the diagonal lines, so I cut the corners off first, then sew.)  Press open.




Sew a 4-square patch to either side of two 6-square patches, making sure the background square is on the outer top edge, not touching the 6-square patch. Sew a 6-square patch to either side of the snowball block. 





Now sew all three rows together. Put a 14.5" background strip on the top and bottom. Add the remaining 2 strips on either side.  Sandwhich with batting and backing, quilt and bind it.  Embellish anyway you want.




Wouldn't these look cute with some seasonal buttons sewn around the wreath? Happy Holiday making!

Please make sure you visit my fellow blog hoppers today and tomorrow.


Thursday, November 14th



Have a great day!
post signature


31 comments:

Carol said...

That quilt is beautiful! I love the color choices...they make the whole project POP!

HUGS!

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

Your quilt is gorgeous and I love the inclusion of the animals. Thanks for the tutorial on the charming candle mat too!

Moira said...

Great projects!

Anita Jackson @ Domestic Felicity said...

both projects are stunning! Buttons on the wreath is a YES!

Susie said...

Love the quilt and sometimes it is so hard to choose colours for Boys, I have two!!!! Love the candle mat and thanks for sharing the tutorial. Hugs, Susie xx

Melva said...

Yes! Fun buttons would be the perfect finish for that wreath.
MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

Scrapatches said...

Good Morning, Dorian ... your son's quilt is wonderful! The quilting is looking great. The easy wreath block is lovely. Thanks for the tutorial ... :-) Pat

KaHolly said...

Your quilt is stellar! How sweet of you to include a tutorial for your pretty wreath.

Karrin Hurd said...

Your quilt is beautiful. Thanks so much for including the tutorial for your wreath.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a great good that will be. LOVE that pattern!!

Anonymous said...

I love the quilt pattern, i's a great way to show off particular fabrics. The wreath is adorable!

Susan said...

Love the colors in your quilt, and those wreaths are coming along nicely!

Carla said...

I have a few quilts I need to do because the recipients have grown up, too. Your quilt is perfect and I love the quilting you are doing. Thank you, so much for the wreath pattern. I love the idea of buttons like ornaments. Your post makes me smile, thank you for the great ideas.

Dix in Canada said...

Great color combination & use of animals for your quilt. Thanks for sharing your creativity, talents & inspiration with us. Thank you as well for including the instructions for a Christmas gift, neat idea.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow your son's quilt is awesome and thanks for the wreath tutorial.

wendy said...

Great quilt for a young man! I like the wreath also, thanks for the tutorial!

Farm Quilter said...

Your son is getting a beautiful quilt!! Your candle mat is perfect for Christmas...looks just like a wreath!

Robin said...

I adore your grandson's new quilt. I love how the colors pop on the black & grey. Thank you for the wreath pattern. I have so many buttons that would work on the wreath. Thanks again.

Michelle said...

Pretty quilt and pretty wreath wall hanging. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I may give that a try. :D

Sue D said...

Wonderful quilt for your son and thanks for the instructions.

Charlene McCain said...

Perfect quilt for a boy! Your candle mat is adorable! Thank you for the tutorial.

LJ said...

Those kids, I'm sure, keep you busy. The quilt will be extra special since Carson chose the colors. Thanks for the tut on the wreath quilt.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

I love the colors in your quilt! I also love your candle mat/wall hanging. You spoke of your son being tall at 15. My 10 year old granddaughter is already 5'2" tall! And her brothers, age 7, are 4'10"!! I think they will catch up with he soon. Thanks for sharing your tutorial for the wreath.

Carol said...

I really like that Cornerstones quilt! No wonder it's a favorite pattern of yours. Thanks for sharing the tutorial on the wreath mini too. That's a great way to use up some leftovers!

Denise :) said...

Wow, what a great quilt! And the wreath -- very clever! You could really embellish this up!! :)

Carol Andrews said...

That quilt is beautiful and your wreath is a cute fun pattern. Thank you for sharing and being part of the hop!

Barb said...

The orange in the quilt just glows!! Very eye catching. Also thanks for the wreath pattern.
barbkaup(at)(yahoo)(dot)(com)

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Very cute wreath! Thanks for sharing the pattern. And you're right, it would look darling with a few seasonal buttons attached.

The cornerstones quilt is wonderful. He'll love it!

Sharon said...

What a pretty quilt! Thanks for sharing.

tink's mom said...

Your quilt is going to be fabulous. I love your little wreath. What a great use of scraps of which I have a few. Thanks so much for the how to.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Very sweet wreath! Thanks for sharing! xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...