It's been awhile I know. I have not been sewing a lot, but still spending a bit of time in the sewing room. Mostly working on UFO's.
As I had quite a few black squares and strips in my stash, I thought a darker quilt would be interesting and out of the box for me. I put 4 of the blocks together like this.
Then added sashing. The border is more of the same blocks, ones that I didn't have 4 of to make a block.
This top started out as a swap on QATW. We sent our partner a panel or 2 or 4... depending on the size of the panel and what you wanted done with them. You could have table mats, wall hanging, full sized quilt, whatever. I sent my panels to Candice and asked for a wall hanging. This is what she made me.
And when I put the two next to each other, I figured it was Fate. The colors match so perfectly.
So, I got all the split 9 patches put together in a small quilt. I cut on both diagnals. Then sewed them onto the sides of the panel quilt.
Now I need to figure out what to put on these sides, to turn it back so that my sewing machines are sitting upright. I had intended this to be a wall hanging. But when I saw what a great job Candice did with the panels, I decided I wanted it as a bed quilt where it would actually been seen sometimes (I don't have any wall space! LOL)
This next quilt I am calling Jewels. It is a Corey Yoder pattern, well the blocks are her's. She calls it an 8 point star block and she made it in a pillow. The pattern is in the Fall 2018 Quilts and More magazine. But the setting is all mine.
They look like sparkling jewels to me. Since I had black on my table with the Garlic knots, I thought what about black as the setting triangles here, then I also needed an alternative block. Most of the HST pieces are leftover bits from doing stitch and flip corners on a quilt. I don't usually do stitch and flip, as I hate wasting these little triangles. So I kept all these and made this pattern. The HSTs are 1.5", so tiny. But after making the 8 point star blocks, I still had some leftover, so I came up with this alternative block. I think it worked out well. I am not sure if I'll put a border on or not, it's on the back burner 'stewing'.
And that is what I've been up to the past 3 or 4 months :) Just getting a bit done here and there, and pretty soon I had some pretty tops. Now maybe the quilting fairy will show up and make them into quilts for me :)
Thanks for stopping by!