Thursday, March 31, 2022

Another Irish Chain

 Hello All,

Spring is here, and it's not a very wet one. I have a feeling we are in for a long, dry summer :( We usually get much of our water in the months between March and May, but not this year.

I had a bunch of 2" and 2 1/2" strips laying around. Some of them were WOF long from jelly rolls, others were partial strips, anything from 10" to 30". I made sure they were all 2" wide and then sewed them together in strips sets like this.


You can just see the green strip that has two strips sewn together. As some of my strips weren't long enough, I sewed them end to end until all my strips were at least 40" long. Then I cut them into 2" segments and sewed them together into the chain blocks.


Making sure that the blue was constant throughout the quilt, making the large X in each chain block. You can see some of the squares are two toned, from sewing the ends of strips together. (See them circled below).  But that's ok, I think it adds charm.

I was originally going to put wildflowers in the alternate blocks, but when I saw how colorful this was turning out, I decided to use these fun animal prints instead, and make a kid quilt.  I cut these fabrics into squares and then sewed a 2" wide strip of yellow on either side of a square.

Then I sewed strips together like so.


And cut them into 2" wide segments.


And put them together like this.


Put them all together, and you have a really cute and colorful Irish chain quilt :)


I still need to all a fun border, I'll use more leftover strips, and then I'll quilt it up, as I think I have a backing for it.

I'm sharing with Pat and her stitch and share link again today, thank you Pat for your linky.

Thanks for stopping by.

Dorian


3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super scrappy Irish Chain with random background squares, too? SEW totally fun!!

Scrapatches said...

Very colorful. It is always nice to find a use for pretty scraps and fabrics. Thanks for sharing in my linky party ... :) Pat

Carol said...

That quilt is right up with my loving of color! Great job, Dorian! :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...