Monday, March 11, 2019

New Fabrics and some WIPs

Hello All,

We are finally getting some sun today, it looks so nice! As much as we needed alllll that rain and snow we got, it's nice to see the sun after weeks of it. I hope March is a sunnier/warmer month, as April and May are usually quiet wet.

I've got a little bit of fabric therapy in :) My middle son has always been an animal and nature lover. And as he is 5'10" already, he has outgrown his old quilts and is in need of a new one.



I let him pick out the colors, I was pretty sure what they would be and figured they would go along with the wildlife panel I had picked out. And I was right :) These are all Shadow play by Maywood. I got them at a decent price at Somewhere Sewing. The wildlife panel is by Robert Kaufman.

I am making lots of geese with these fabrics, using the 4 geese at a time method. The Spruce Crafts have a nice chart, so that you know what size squares to use.

Take a large square, put two smaller squares on top, right sides together. Mark a diagonal line thru the smaller squares and sew a quarter inch on both sides of the line. Cut apart between the 2 sew lines. Instead of marking a line, I just fold my smaller squares on the diagonal and finger press. Makes a nice line that goes away without a wash.



Open up the triangles and add another square. Again, mark a line along the diagonal, sew on either side of it, cut on the line.



Open up, and you have your geese. Full instructions here.



I also got some backing fabric for my Bear quilt. A bear needs to roam in the woods :)



I got a great price on it at Thousands of Bolts (love this store). This quilt is a gift, so I need to get it quilted.

I've also been working on my embroidery wall hanging. This is my March project, so I work on it a little bit everyday. I added the blocks from this post as a border (Marcia calls them Golden Gate blocks.), then put in a second border. I decided not to use the log cabins. 



I have plenty to keep me busy in the sewing room :) Hope you are keeping busy and enjoying some warmer, or cooler, weather.

Have a great day!

post signature

2 comments:

Scrapatches said...

Good Morning, Dorian ... you have been sew busy! I like the new fabrics and panel for the quilt for your son. He has a nice eye for color. Wonder where he got that? ;) Looks like you found some great fabric buys. The Spruce sites have good information. I did not know that block had a name. Learn something every day. May your weather be kind, your spring me good and your sewing and stitching happy ... <3 Pat

Carol said...

Lovely projects to keep you happy in the sewing room! I think the "gift" quilt will be beautiful when you complete it and gift it. ;-) And your son's quilt will be well used, I'm sure.
HUGS!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...