Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Wish Upon a Star blog hop, my day

Hello All, and welcome to the Wish Upon a Star blog hop!! So glad that you could drop by. Thank you Carol for another great blog hop!

I had a bunch of triangles left over from this mystery quilt. (You can read more about it here.)


I really like these colors and so at the beginning of this year I pulled them out and started thinking about how I wanted to put them together. I knew I wanted to pair the colored triangles with the background triangles (especially as they were already together from when I cut them out!) and make some half square triangle blocks.

My sweet big Sis sent me a subscription to QuiltMaker magazine for Christmas last year. In the Jan/Feb 2018 issue was a pattern with a star block similar to this one in it.



 I thought it was a great pattern and decided to use the star, alternating it just a little,  and figure out an alternative block to go with it. I played with my EQ7 and came up with this block.


I was running out of the original fabrics. They are older lines and I couldn't find the black with flowers fabric that is the center of the stars. So I used these butterflies and flowers instead, along with a similar background fabric.

Put them together, added a few borders...



And I ended up with a 60x60 nice lap sized quilt.


I love the look of chain quilts, this would be great as a larger quilt too. It would show off the chain better.


Here's the back. You can really see the quilting I did.


Big loopy flowers in each of the blocks, and some swirly vines in between.



I am keeping it for myself :) I love the roses on the backing, and the colors on the front. Nice and girly...living in a house full of boys/men, my girl and I need some girly stuff ;)



Thanks so much for stopping by! Don't forget to see the rest of the great projects for today's blog hoppers. To find a full list of blog hoppers, go see Carol.

May 22
                                                                     Why-Knot-Kwilt
post signature

38 comments:

Elizabeth Coughlin said...

What a pretty quilt! I love the color combination.

Stitchin At Home said...

A lovely quilt! I can see why you are keeping it.

Creativeblonde66 said...

Beautiful quilt, really lovely

Lisa J. said...

Carol this quilt is just beautiful and your photos make me want to come and visit you, I love the colours you used in this quilt . What a clever block that gives you stars and chains in one quilt.

Carol said...

Love it! The additional block you figured out sets off the stars perfectly. Thanks for sharing!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

What a pretty quilt. Love the stars, and I agree the chains are fabulous in it.

Carol Swift said...

Oh, Dorian, that is such a beautiful and girly star quilt...love the peach color in it! Everything about it, the stars, the quilting, and the photos, makes it seem so cozy. You shined brightly in creativity on this one! Thank you for playing along in the hop and sharing your stars.

tink's mom said...

Isn't it wonderful what beautiful quilts can be made from left overs. Yours is terrific and yes, kinda girly. Love it.

Cindy said...

Beautiful, Dorian! I love your creativity :)

Scrapatches said...

This is beautiful, Dorian! I love the way you used up the cutoff HSTs from the other quilt for the stars and the new fabrics you added for the alternate blocks really add to the overall design. The quilting is lovely. Enjoy your pretty girly quilt. Thank you for sharing in the hop ... :-) Pat

Sherry said...

Such a pretty quilt! Love the quilted roses!

Suze said...

I'm glad you are keeping your quilt. It's always special to keep your won work for yourself. The quilt is wonderful. I couldn't really see the stars until the over-all picture of the quilt and then I was stunned. It is gorgeous.

Calicojoan said...

WOW, wow, wow...that star quilt is absolutely gorgeous. The colors are so soft and beautiful. You know I love a good leftover pieces quilt too. Great way to use up those half square triangles!

Lori said...

wow your quilt is lovely. thanks for sharing. I love the roses you quilted.

OhioLori said...

GORGEOUS Quilt & Quilting!!! Wow!!

Needled Mom said...

That is beautiful. I love the scrappy backing too.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Lovely quilt. I especially like the roses on the back, too.

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Oh it is just lovely!! Love the quilting you did on it too, it is so pretty! xx

barbara woods said...

beautiful quilt and beautiful quilting.

cv quilter said...

Dorian, What a beauty this quilt is. I see romance and definitely girly. Just absolutely beautiful and I really love the alternative block you designed. It all fits sew wonderfully and I don't blame you for keeping it for yourself.

Dione Gardner-Stephen said...

Stars and chains. What a lovely combination and I love the colours too. I'm glad you will keep this for yourself, all quilters deserve to enjoy the fruits of their labours sometimes.

Denise said...

Beautiful combo of fabrics and I love what you did with the left over hst. I couldn't pick my favorite quilt if I had to.

Wendy said...

Dorian, you did a wonderful job ... beautiful chain work and your loopy flower quilting is lovely. Thank you for sharing!

Nancy in Minnesota said...

Thank you for telling us the story of your quilt. It's lovely! (I like that mystery quilt it started from, too.)

Anna brown said...

Wow great job and u love the colors to for sharing... happyness04431@yahoo.com

Susan said...

I like your top design, too. The star quilt is fabulous. I'm so glad you are keeping it for yourself! We keep so few of our own.

Anna brown said...

Love the scrappy look ty for sharing very very nice.... happyness04431@yahoo.com

Marian said...

Love this quilt, the scraps and the organized colors ... just wonderful and a great way to combine the two in a beautiful quilt.

Nancy J said...

A frame and a border, that is a super finish to your quilt.

Unknown said...

Wow, I love that quilt, it's scrappy and yet it comes together so well!

LJ said...

Wonderful. I enjoyed hearing how you overcame the fabric dilemma.

allthingzsewn said...

Very pretty finish of the last quilt. The first quilt is intriguing.

Quilter Kathy said...

Beautiful! Great use of leftover triangles!

Carla said...

Love your stars and your pretty quilting too. It's nice to keep a quilt or 2 once in awhile...

Anita said...

Your star quilt is gorgeous, and your quilting is exquisite!

Sharon said...

Beautiful work! I love the combination of colors in your quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Ranch Wife said...

Oh, wow, Dorian! That is absolutely beautiful! The colors and design are just a great combination. I'm impressed with your design skills and I love hearing about your process. I'm so glad you're keeping it!

Kim said...

I love your quilt! The design and quilting is beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...