Sunday, January 1, 2023

A New Year... and some finishes

 A Happy New Year to everyone! I hope this year is a wonderful one for you all.

I just squeezed in one finish for last year. This star quilt I quilted up in late summer. Then I set it aside to start on the next quilt, without binding it. I actually pieced this quilt about 13 yrs ago! It's been sitting long enough.


I don't know why I did that, I'm usually so good at getting the binding done right away. 
But, I wanted to get it finished, so spent some time on Fri and Sat getting it bound. 

It's called With this Ring, and the pattern is found in the book "Beeni Harper's quilt albumn". I love the stars in the corners.


I quilted it with varigated brown and blue thread. Making flowers and leaves all throughout.



This was going to be a gift, but I made so many mistakes with it, I would be embarrassed to gift it, so I'll keep it. I do love the varigated thread though. I've never used it before, but I think it looks so nice.

I wanted to get these twin baby quilts finished too, but I ran out of steam and didn't get them done on Saturday. But I did finish them on Sunday! They only needed to be trimmed and bound.

When my friend first told me she was pregnant, she didn't know she was carrying twins. A mutual friend of ours is also making quilts for the babies. Kelly showed me a picture of the cute mushrooms and leaves that she was going to put in her quilt, and it made me think of a squirrel quilt I saw at Lorna's shop. So I decided to make it. But then when I was looking at her shop, I saw these adorable baby animals, and decided to do them instead.


These animals are pieced using the flip and sew method. Lorna has great directions. I came up with the setting. It started with this adorable fabric line, Little Fawn Celebration by Dear Stella. I thought that was perfect for welcoming some twins into the world.


I bought a FQ bundle of the fabric and started putting these animals together. 



About half way thru the quilt, my friend told me she was expecting twins, I am so excited for her! But, that means I needed to make another quilt. So I bought the panel that goes with this line and used 4 of the animals to make another quilt.


One quilt I quilted butterflies and flowers, and one quilt I quilted stars and butterflies.


Alike yet different, just like the twins are going to be :) The babies are girls and I hope they get a lot of enjoyment out of these quilts.

Take care, and have a lovely day!

Dorian

2 comments:

ButterZ said...

Both quilts are adorable. I am sure they will be loved. You have done a great job. Also, your wedding ring quilt is beautiful. Don’t be ashamed/embarrassed by any mistakes. It looks amazing.

Scrapatches said...

Beautiful finishes!!! That Lone Star quilt has always been one of my very favorites. The quilting is beautiful! Adorable twin quilts ... :) Pat

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...