Saturday, June 1, 2019

A mystery quilt and another scrappy quilt

Hello Everyone,

I hope your Summer (winter) is off to a good start. We've had Tstorms going thru here about once a day, but sunny and warm other wise. Its good for the garden and the water tanks, so I'm not complaining.

As I finished Big Brown Bear and don't have the right fabrics to finish some UFO's, I decided to make yet another scrappy quilt. This is another one by Deanna at Wedding Dress Blues. It's called Irish Stars. As I love Irish Chain quilts and I still have quite a bit of precut squares in my scrap bin, I decided...why not??!

Here is flying geese for the stars and the center of the stars. The white with orange dots is part of the background. I dug into my treasured Sunkissed Fabrics by Sweet Water for this quilt.



I choose to use darker/more vibrant hues in this quilt. I think these are all the colors I want to use, although when I do the chain blocks, I might have to add some other shades, as there are 25 squares in each chain block. At least it will wipe out all my 2.5" squares in the scrap bin :) 

Now really, I am not sure what made me choose this pattern, as I ALWAYS have issues with flying geese.. Sigh~ I guess the chain part won out this time. No matter what method I use, I usually end up ripping and resewing quite a few of the geese.


This time, I followed the directions of Deanna and used a 2.5"x 4.5" rectangle for the background and 2.5" squares for the 'wings'. Using the stitch and flip method to put them together. 

You put one square on the end of the rectangle and sew diagonally from corner to corner. I don't draw a line on little squares like this, I just 'eyeball' it.



Then I cut the corner off, using a 1/4" seam.



This time, I want to keep the triangle with the background triangle, so I sewed them together right away, chain stitching them, doing one color at a time (there are 7 colors).



Then you sew the other square to the other side, cut with a 1/4" seam.



Now I get to redo almost half of them. SIGH~ BUT, it used up a bunch of scrap squares, so all is good.

I also have started a new mystery quilt over on my forum, Quilting around the world. My long time readers will know how much I love a good mystery :) Here are the fabrics I am using.



Hope you all have a wonderful day!

post signature

3 comments:

Jo said...

If you iron your wings over after you stitch them, trim them to size then cut off the excess it helps a bit. You don't end up with as many wonky geese. Also sew your second stitching line before you iron, trim and cut away excess your bonus half square triangle is already stitched.

Scrapatches said...

Love you mystery quilt fabrics and your scrap squares are looking wonderful together. Looking forward to seeing your quilts, my friend ... :-) Pat

Cindy said...

very pretty, Dorian! looking forward to seeing your progress with this one :) I saved the pattern too . . . I need to tackle my scraps HA!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...