Monday, February 28, 2022

What I'm working on

 Hello Everyone,

We had been having some lovely Feb weather, and now things are starting to get a bit cloudy and rainy, which is good. We reallllly need the moisture. So I am hoping this is the starting of a wet Spring (which often mean snow and freezing weather, as well as rain).

Not long ago, I was talking about pulling this old UFO out, and getting it quilted up.



It's now sandwhiched and pinned, ready to quilt. 


I started to hand quilt this, because I have some issues that I'm afraid I'm going to have a hard time 'quilting' out ( and because I haven't hand quilted in a long time and thought it would be nice), like the bumps below (where the arrows are). I know, it's wrinkly as well and I should of ironed it before pinning it...


But, there is lots of lovely spaces here to quilt...


And after quilting for just 10 or 15 mins, making barely any headway, I started rethinking my hand quilting. For one, it's not very good. Something like 5 stitches per inch, instead of 8 or 10. And then the next day, my forearm was hurting a lot from doing the little bit of stitching I had the day before. I don't think I can handle doing this whole quilt by hand :(

So, I had my oldest son get my machine oiled (I had cleaned it a few days ago) and am going to get going on quilting this one... as soon as I buy some thread. The thread I started using started falling apart when I was frogging it. It's polyester and I am not a 'poly' girl, much prefer cotton. But I don't have any matching colors, so I'll have to buy something. 

Now I hope that I can quilt this up decently and don't have many issues with it.

I also have a few more tops to add to the 'need to quilt' pile. This is the macaroon mystery top. So pretty and colorful! I really like the green sashing, which was supposed to be the background color but I had too much swirls and needed something to rest the eyes.

This is a Jacob's ladder quilt top that I got out of the Fall 2018 Quilts and More magazine. This is the quilt I did for a swap on our forum. We aren't supposed to quilt it, so that we can swap it with someone else, if we want.


I really wish this one was bigger, as I love it. But I don't have any wall spaces for it and I have no Grand babies to give it to. So, I might keep it and add some more patch work around it, making it bigger.. I might not, we'll see.

I have plenty of things to quilt up while I wait for thread for the Lonestar, I'm starting on a few table runners.

Take care, and thanks for stopping by.

Dorian





2 comments:

ButterZ said...

So why don’t you do some big stitch quilting. I am using crochet cotton for one of my quilts.mit doesn’t matter the size of your stitch. Just have fun with it. I have been working on mine for 8 years now. I think about it, get it out, sew a bit then put it away for 6 months. It will get there eventually. Or set aside 1 day a week to work on it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Gorgeous projects, Dorian! Happy quilting!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...