Monday, August 3, 2020

Magic Stars

Hello All,

Hope you are all having a terrific summer (winter). We've been enjoying going to the lake a lot this year. The lake is about a 45 min drive from the house, so not too bad, especially since it's a lovely drive thru the mtns and forests.

Have you all seen the magic stars pattern? I just love playing with it. You take two pieces of fabric, cut them a few times, mix up the colors and resew them. Too fun! 



I didn't have 10" squares to work with, but I did have a big pile of 6.5" squares. So I guessed my cuts would be at 2.5" and thats what I did. 

I only did a few this way, then I decided that the middle triangle was too small, I wanted to see if I can make the three triangles all roughly the same size. So I experimented with cutting sizes.

Here you can see I cut one set at 2", one at  2 1/4 ", one at 2 1/2" and one at 2 3/4".




I found the 2 1/4" works out best for the triangles. So my original squares are 6 1/2" and I made the cuts at 2 1/4". 

I made a pile of them, having fun picking out what fabrics to go together.



I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this yet, maybe make them into a table runner? or make more and put them in a lap sized quilt? 


I haven't decided on a layout yet, but I I think I am leaning towards this last one.


Then again.... maybe the first one??

We'll see... stay tuned :)

post signature


7 comments:

Scrapatches said...

What a fun block. It makes a complicated star sew easy. Thanks for the link to the original tutorial. I may have to play with this one. I think I like the second layout. I am sure you will choose the very best one, my friend. Looking forward to seeing more ... :) Pat

Carol said...

I love color, as you know, and I like the "more-jumbled up" style of the 2nd layout, but I'm sure you will choose the "RIGHT" one! ;-) HUGS!

The Joyful Quilter said...

OMG!! I absolutely LOVE that you took the tutorial and adapted it to fit the squares that you had available. I have worked on another adaptation, but didn't get that post (or quilt) together yet. SEW glad to see that you're having fun with your Magic Stars!

Janis said...

I'm so glad you experimented with the cutting dimensions for a smaller block. I'm doing the 10" blocks but have plenty of fabric left from the fat quarters I started with and thought making a smaller version of the blocks might work as a border. I'll have to work out the math to see if that will work, but am glad to have the option of another size either way.

Dirt Road Quilter said...

I'm so glad to hear that ya'll are spending quality time at the lake and making more treasured memories. Even this desert rat likes spending time on the water.
Your magic stars are so pretty and look like fun. I'm happy to know that you too like quilting mathematics. ;)

ButterZ said...

That is a real interesting block.
Could you show step by step photos of how you assembled them. I reallly like them

Bonnie said...

This is such a cool block. And trying with differing sizes is so interesting. On to try my own!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...