Thursday, December 5, 2019

Virtual cookie exchange, my day!

Hello Everyone,

Have you been following along this week on the Virtual cookie blog hop? It's one of my favorite hops of the year. So many yummy recipes being shared, lovely quilted items being shown, and family traditions being told. Thank you Carol for hosting this wonderful hop every year!

For a few years now I've shared my family's favorite holiday cookie, the Chocolate gingerbread cookie. So this year I wanted to share my personal favorite seasonal cookie. And I only make it around Christmas, as I tend to eat more than my share of the batch ;)

It's the gingersnap. 



I love mine nice and crunchy, served with a hot cup of coffee, just perfect. 



There are many, many recipes out there. Some are crunchy, some are soft. I use the recipe out of this recipe book: Golde's homemade cookies.

2438697

It's an older book, published in 1984. I'm sure you can find it on some used book sites though, if you wanted.  It has a lot of great cookie recipes in it. Here is the recipe.

3/4 C vegetable shortening (I use butter)
1 C granulated sugar, plus some for dipping
1 egg
1/4 C molasses
2 C all purpose flour (I use whole wheat)
1 tsp each: Baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger

In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar, egg and molasses until well blended.

Sift the flour, baking soda, and spices together. Add to the creamed mixture. Mix well.

Wrap and refrigerate dough for 1/2 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Roll dough into balls about half-tsp size (or as large as you like). Dip each ball in granulated sugar, rolling around getting it all sugary. Place on cookie sheets (do not flatten), bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Enjoy with your favorite hot (or cold) beverage.

This year I want to get back into making some homemade candies too. Growing up, my Mom (and I think my Grandmom too) made Divinity. A yummy confection of sugar and eggs, whipped up like meringue, mint flavor added. Or vanilla with walnut chunks in it. Yummy! I haven't made any myself before, so this will be a first.

In the past I've also made batches of peanut brittle. Again, another of my personal favorites. And we can't forget the fudge! My dd and I make chocolate fudge and peanut butter fudge every year. A family favorite and one of our traditions.

Getting in the kitchen, cooking and baking with my dd, is always a treat. The holidays make it that much more special though. 


Thanks for stopping by and seeing my favorite cookie. I hope you pop in and visit with my fellow bloggers today. You can go to Carol's site to see a full list of hoppers for the week, so you don't miss out on all the yummy treats.


Ridge Top Quilt (you are here)

post signature

22 comments:

Stitchin At Home said...

Thanks for the recipe, I like gingersnaps but my hubby doesn't so I rarely make them.

tink's mom said...

Thanks for sharing what sounds like a wonderful cookie recipe. Merry Christmas

Melva said...

Mmmm... gingersnaps with a cuppa chai latte. Thanks for sharing!
MelvaLovesScraps(at)NolanQualityCustoms(dot)com

Farm Quilter said...

Love gingersnaps!! Thank you for the recipe!!

Denise :) said...

Oh yummy! I do love a good gingersnap cookie -- I think they may be one of my favorites! It's a really pretty topper your cookie plate is resting on, too! :)

Dirt Road Quilter said...

Oh YUM! Gingersnaps are DH's favorite so I make them a lot! He likes them crunchy outside and tender inside. Yours look doubly delicious on your pretty wreath table topper! It sounds like you have the perfect sous chef to assist you in your Christmas baking!

Carol said...

All I can say is YUMMY!!! Glad dd is helping out so much!

HUGS!!!

Calicojoan said...

A cookie my hubby eats all the time when he's dealing with motion sickness. I call them our miracle cookies! LOL!!!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Dorian! Oh, these cookies look delicious. I haven't had a good gingersnap cookie since my sister died. She used to make them often and they were so, SO good. Maybe it's time I take over the tradition and give these a shot. Thank you for sharing. ~smile~ Roseanne

LJ said...

Yum...my Dad loved dunkin' his ginger cookies into his coffee. Those cookies, if they are kinda on the crispy side, can be dipped half way into white almond bark. They look festive and you'll be a hit everywhere. :)

Carla said...

These look so good and then you show them with coffee and it is a must make. Thank you for the recipe!

Beatrice said...

I love Ginger Snaps. Those and Snickerdoodles are my favourite North American cookies. I have only ever tried one recipe for Ginger Snaps that always makes me laugh... the author of the book claims that "German housewives have been making these for centuries". I had never heard of Ginger Snaps in Germany :) Anyway, I prefer the crunchy variety too, and I will definitely give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing.

Carol Swift said...

Your ginger snaps look so beautiful and ready to eat...yum! I have a ginger cookie I make every year that was my husband's mom's recipe. I think I'll step away this year from that recipe and try yours. Seriously, they look so plump and pretty! Thanks for hopping with us!

Karrin Hurd said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe. My husband would love these. I think his mom used to make them!

Lisa J. said...

You must be related to my husband because ginger snaps are his favourite....but he likes them soft. Thanks for the recipe.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love ginger snaps - yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Michelle said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Gingersnaps are one of my favorites.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your cookies look yummy. But the quilt in the next blog post is WOW!

Charlene McCain said...

Thank you for this recipe! It looks scrumptious! I have never heard of chocolate gingerbread before. Can't wait to try it.

Danice G said...

Chocolate Gingerbread cookies are so good, and yours really look delicious. Thank you for the recipe. Your mug mat on the photos is really cute too.

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Oh Dorian, your crunchy chocolate gingerbread cookies sound wonderful!! And thanks for sharing your recipe. I think anything with molasses HAS to be good!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the smell of molasses and ginger. These are great dunking cookies.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...