Thursday, November 29, 2018

Virtual cookie exchange

Hello Everyone,

And welcome to the Virtual Cookie Exchange, hosted by our good friend Carol at Just Let Me Quilt. Thank you Carol, this blog hop is always fun :)

I have 4 kids, and even though 2 of them are young adults now, we all still enjoy the same Christmas cookies and candies at this time of year that we have since they were little. The most favorite of all is Chocolate Gingerbread, a recipe I found in this book,  many years ago. Here is the recipe:



  • 2 cups (12-ounce package) chocolate chips, divided
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 1/4 cup water
  • Frosting of your choice.
  • MICROWAVE 1 1/2 cups morsels in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature. Or melt them over the stove top on low, stirring all the while.

    COMBINE flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon in medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in small mixer bowl until creamy; beat in molasses and melted chocolate. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with water, beating until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.

    PREHEAT oven to 350° F.

    ROLL half of dough to ¼-inch thickness on floured surface with floured rolling pin. Cut dough into shapes using cookie cutters or a stencil. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.

    BAKE for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are set but centers are still slightly soft. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
  • Frost and decorate as desired.
  • They are awfully sweet, so a cup of hot coffee (or tea) with them is perfect.

Ginger snaps are my personal favorite :) But I only  make them at this time of year.

Our favorite Christmas tradition also involves goodies :) The kids look forward to fresh, hot cinnamon rolls when they are done opening gifts. I make the dough and form the rolls the night before, then stick them in the freezer for the night. In the morning, before the kids get up, I take them out of the freezer and pop them into the oven about a half an hour before they get up. Then after opening gifts, we have cinnamon rolls while sitting around enjoying gifts and each other.

I've been busy in the sewing room, making  a few fun table mats. I fussy cut the snowmen and then used scraps to make up the mat. These make great gifts, with a big mug and some cocoa mix :)





Have a blessed Christmas, and thanks for stopping by.

Please don't forget to go and look for more goodies over at these wonderful blogs:





Thank you Carol, for another fun blog hop!!

post signature

20 comments:

Carla said...

No way chocolate gingerbread cookies can by wrong. YUMMY! Thank you for sharing the recipe and your fussy cut snowmen mats are adorable. Merry Christmas!

Farm Quilter said...

I would never have thought to put gingerbread and chocolate together, but I like them both so I'll have to give your cookies a try! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Your snowmen mats are cute and perfect for Christmas!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, chocolate gingerbread -- yum! Another cookie to add to my list. Thanks!

Scrapatches said...

Cute scrappy snowpeople mats and yummy looking cookies. I love all kinds of ginger cookies so I will be baking a batch of these soon. Thank you for sharing in the hop, my friend ... :-) Pat

Carol Swift said...

Wowzers! Chocolate gingerbread sounds so delicious...yum! My daughter has taken over my job of making cinnamon rolls and now I get to sit back and enjoy them. I like the idea of putting them in the freezer the night before so they are baked fresh. I'll be either telling her or trying it myself. Your table mats are so sweet with those snowmen! Thanks for hopping along with us and sharing your recipe and sewing projects! xo

Calicojoan said...

I have to say...I'm with Carol on this one! Chocolate Gingerbread YUMMY YUMMY!!!! I love your little fussy cut table toppers too. Perfect for the season! Have a very Merry Christmas!

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Dorian, these cookies sound great! Thanks for sharing this recipe. My list of have-to-tries is getting longer and longer! LOL

Karrin Hurd said...

Your cookies sound delicious, and love the mats! Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Dorian! Oh boy, gingerbread and chocolate! Now that's a combination that sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I have so many new recipes to try from this year's hop, and this is definitely one of them. Happy Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your cookies look very good. Your table mats are very cute.

Barb said...

Your cookies look so yummy, thanks!

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

Two of my favourites chocolate and gingerbread. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Susan said...

Thanks for the recipe! I had to smile when you mentioned fresh hot cinnamon roles. We had that tradition, too, only they were the ones in the can from the grocery store that we spread the orange icing on! =) We definitely had a short-cut family. LOL

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats so fun that all your kids love the same cookie recipes! They look good

LJ said...

Chocolate Gingerbread...what a great combination. It's a combination I've never eaten so I must give these a try. Thank you.

Michelle said...

Chocolate gingerbread, that sounds like it would be hit here in my house. lol

Carol said...

Yum, those cookies look good! I love gingersnaps and chocolate. I will have to try these. I may gain 10 or 15 pounds if I make all the goodies I want to make after this hop. Thanks for sharing!

Mindy Sebastian said...

Gingerbread AND chocolate? I don't think I've ever had that combination, but it sounds like a match made in heaven!

ytsmom said...

These cookies sound delicious. I must add them to my list! What kind of frosting do you use for yours?

Carol Andrews said...

Yummy sounding cookies. I will have to try them. Gingerbread is one of my favourites and hubby loves anything chocolate! Great mats. I love the snowmen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...