Monday, August 13, 2018

Phire's Compass

Hello All,

Friday was one of those days that I just needed to grab a pattern, some pretty fabrics and start cutting. One of those times where I didn't want to think, just to cut and sew.... Unfortantley I could not do anything about it until Sat.

So on Sat I pulled out my Phires Compass pattern. That I was so thrilled to test!! It is a pattern that Jessica J.E. Smith designed for Northcott fabrics back in 2010. I looked on the Northcott site and found it in the archived patterns. I don't know if you can still buy it anywhere. This is the one I made back then.



BUT, Jess changed it a bit and made it into a mystery quilt. You CAN find that pattern, here under Phires Radiance. It has the same middle, but different borders.

SO, anyways, I pulled fabrics... I have enough of the red and green for the middle, but will have to buy similar fabics to do the border.


I love to play with pretty fabrics :) 



     You have to be very careful when you play with diamond shapes, as like triangles, they are very  stretchy and can easily be taken out of shape. You PRESS, never iron, the sawing motion will distort   them.


I'll show you more soon! I'm excited about using these fabrics in this pattern. It's such a cool pattern!

post signature

2 comments:

Agnes said...

I followed along with the mystery. I rarely repeat designs. This became a favorite and I have done the center medallion three times but each time with a different border of my choosing.

Scrapatches said...

Beautiful fabrics, Dorian! Pressing so you do not stretch and distort all those bias edges is a very important point. I did make this pattern when it was first released. I think I decided on plain, not pieced, setting squares and a different border. It is one of those many tops I have in my closet that I have never found this time to quilt. Someday I should find it and finish this quilt. It is a striking center medallion. Looking forward to seeing how you finish this one ... :) Pat

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...